Tuesday, April 25, 2017

Week 12

This past week, Steven and I were assigned to create header files for our code so that we can simplify the amount of code we have for the project. The goal is to have fewer lines of code as we can so that next year's teams that work on this project will be able to easily understand the code without feeling overwhelmed with a lengthy code. Steven and I decided to split up the number of functions that we need to convert into header files so that we can both work on them together without having just one of us working on it alone and so that we can accomplish this in a timely manner.

I was unable to make much progress into creating a header file because we had a paper due this coming Wednesday but I had done some more research on how to create them. I tried searching for video tutorials because the idea of creating a header file is still vague and I learn best by seeing some examples of how it is done. Steven and I had asked Tim from the mobile app team on how to create them but I became overwhelmed from his explanation since ME students do not have advanced programming skills, much less any knowledge of C++ coding or any other programming language. We basically have to create a .h file and a .cpp file to create a header file or library. These files utilize  the C++ programming language that I am not familiar with and I would have to learn quickly on how to use that language. During the next couple of weeks, I will rapidly try to learn how to create a library, practice on an example sketch, and then move on to converting our functions into libraries. Learning how to create these libraries will require time and patience but it would be an excellent skill to learn as well as advancing my programming knowledge in the Arduino environment.

No comments:

Post a Comment